I know I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s worth mentioning again: The Braves depth isn’t the problem we thought it was before real games started. The team has (or had) been without:
- Raisel Iglesias since the beginning of the season (he’s throwing now).
- Max Fried since Opening Day
- Kyle Wright until 4/11
- Travis D’Arnaud since 4/9
- Collin McHugh since 4/9
- Michael Harris II since 4/6
- Orlando Arcia since 4/14
Wright was the first one to come off the IL and today, we get another back as Max Fried will return to face off against the Padres. In all likelihood, Danny Young will take a trip to AAA and the Braves will go with 5 starters and 8 relievers (there could also be a phantom IL stint from a random reliever).
I’ve tasked myself with this last week, but it’s getting a bit sticky now, especially if Vaughn Grissom proves worthy, both offensively and defensively.
At the moment, this is where I am:
- When D’Arnaud returns, Chadwick Tromp goes to AAA.
- When Harris II returns, Eli White goes to AAA.
- When Collin McHugh returns, I have no idea what AA will do.
- When Raisel Iglesias returns, I REALLY have no idea what AA will do.
- And when Orlando Arcia returns, if AA stays true to his word, there’s more LF depth than any other position, and if depth is the true reason that Ehire Adrianza exists, then Marcell Ozuna should be banished from the kingdom of Rohan for good, because LF likely has the most depth of any position. Unfortunately, if AA had to make a cut, it would likely be Kevin Pillar as someone would most definitely claim him and his salary.
If Ozuna is dismissed, it opens up SOOO many avenues for better players to DH and play the field.
Please. I beg.
Now click the graphic below and let’s talk Braves