- Bryce Elder had another dominant outing on Monday night against the Cincinnati Reds. He spun 6.1 scoreless innings while striking out seven batters and only walking one. He didn’t qualify for the win due to some quiet Braves bats early on but he keeps his 2023 ERA at a minuscule 0.00 through 12.1 IP. His career earned run average sits at 2.58 over 66.1 innings (1.191 WHIP). Elder hasn’t faced the most fierce competition in his Braves tenure but if you put these numbers on my desk and told me this would be my fifth starter, I’d drink to that.
- The Braves announced on Tuesday morning that Kyle Wright was reinstated from the injured list and he is officially listed as the starter for Tuesday’s game against Cincinnati. Dylan Dodd was optioned to Triple-A Gwinnett to make room for Wright. Wright made one start for Gwinnett where he surrendered five runs on seven hits through 6.0 IP. He managed to strike out six, walk one and also hit one batter. Kyle will be a welcome addition to the club after the plethora of IL stints that have hit the Braves in the early weeks of 2023.
- Max Fried has continued throwing and has moved to the mound. He has yet to do fielding drills but is said to have made good progress. Fried is eligible to be reinstated on Saturday, April 15th.
- Raisel Iglesias has begun a throwing program and is reported to have thrown three days in a row. He told reporters that “everything feels normal” but has yet to throw off a mound. There has not been a timetable announced for his return.
- Jeff Passan of ESPN reported on Tuesday morning that Ian Anderson will undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a torn UCL in his right arm. This potentially sheds light on his recent struggles but is a huge blow for a player that showed so much promise early in his career. Passan says Anderson is expected back sometime in 2024.
- Michael Soroka made his second start for Gwinnett this morning and its seems like he’s really starting to stretch out. He threw 69 pitches (41 strikes) over 4 innings of work. Five K’s, two walks and one earned run on three hits make up the line. The Ian Anderson news makes the return arc of Soroka much more interesting. I think we may get a look at Michael with the big league team in 2023 sooner than we may have expected.
- Collin McHugh told Athletic reporter David O’Brien on Sunday that he will throw off of a mound in the next day or two. He expects to be activated as soon as his 15 day IL stint is up (shoulder inflammation).
Join the Bar for a chat by clicking the image below!