It’s the AA way! Sean Murphy became the latest Brave to ink a long-term contract, signing a 6/$73MM extension that includes a club option for $15MM. It’s the latest in a long line of extensions given out by Anthopoulos and, get this, every single one has a club option or even 2!
- Ozzie Albies, 2026 and 2027 club options for $7MM
- Ronald Acuna Jr. 2027 and 2028 club options for $17MM
- Matt Olson, 2030 club option for $20MM
- Charlie Morton, 2024 club option for $20MM
- Spencer Strider, 2029 club option for $22MM
- Michael Harris II, 2031 club option for $15MM and 2032 club option for $20MM
- Austin Riley, 2033 club option for $20MM
- Travis D’Arnaud, 2024 club option for $8MM
- Tyler Matzek, 2025 club option for $5.5MM
- Orlando Arcia, 2024 club option for $2MM
And the club options aren’t for extended players only. There’s more:
- Eddie Rosario, $9MM club option for 2024
- Marcell Ozuna, $16MM club option for 2025
- Colin McHugh, $6MM club option for 2024
- Kirby Yates, $5.75MM club option for 2024
Either AA is the most extraordinary negotiator in the land, or players just want to play on this team. It’s both. Yes, I answered my own question.
Luxury Tax, Tier 1
Kramer: It’s a write off for them.Seinfeld
Jerry: How is it a write off?
Kramer: They just write it off.
Jerry: Write it off of what?
Kramer: They just write it off!
Jerry: You don’t even know what a write off is, do you?
Kramer: No. Do you?
Jerry: No I don’t!!
When people started talking to me about the luxury tax in baseball, I just nodded and pretended to know what the hell they were talking about. Now, thanks to my friend, who goes by “BOGGY” (Braves Option Guy on Twitter), I actually DO know what I’m talking about.
After factoring in…
- Arb-estimates for Max Fried, A.J. Minter, and Joe Jimenez
- Money sent to Texas in the Jake Odorizzi deal,
- “Player Benefits” (an estimated $16.5 MM each year)
- MILB salaries for 40-man players not on MLB squad
- Pre-arb player salaries
- Bonuses for Exceptional pre-arb players
- AAV of each player under a long-term deal
…the Braves have found their way into tier 1 of the luxury tax…barely, and I hate to let you all down, but it’s not that scary. Tier 1, which is a 20% tax on the overage, starts when teams exceed the $233MM threshold. As of now, the Braves are at about $236MM, which puts their total tier 1 tax at $600K. And, if you can math properly, the max in tax for tier 1 is $4MM, unless…
For sh*ts and giggles, let’s take a look at the Mets. Their payroll is sitting at an astounding $384MM, however, they are a back to back offender and their tax rate for tier 1 is 30%, then 42% for tier 2, then 75% for tier 3, and finally 90% for tier 4, making their total tax overages come to $151MM.
Yes, Cohen invested 1/2 billion into his team, only to finish 2023 looking up. As Guillermo Heredia would say…
NADA HUMBLE. NADA HUMBLE.
BE COCKY. BE COCKY.
ALL THE TIME.
KEEP GOING. BRAISE.