- Richmond put Anthony Lerew on the 15 day DL with a lower back strain.Â I’m not sure if the injury is the cause of his badÂ start to the seasonÂ or if his bad start is reason to put him on the DL.Â Maybe a little R and R will help Anthony find his old stuff.
- James Jurries returned to the Richmond Braves over the weekend.Â While he played first and hit fourth, Scott Thorman moved to the outfield (both left and right).Â Thorman did a little “cleanup” of his own hitting 2 homers off Josh Towers before adding a grand slam in Sunday’s game.
- On SaturdayÂ Chuck James got up to 82 pitches giving up 3 runs on 5 hits and a walk.
- Prospect Martin Prado isÂ 9 forÂ 21 since his call up to Richmond, but left Sunday’s game with a hamstring injury.Â Prado has beenÂ a second baseman for his career, butÂ is playing mostly at third so far at Richmond.
- Myrtle Beach lefty Matt Harrison struck out 8 in 8 innings at Potomac Saturday night andÂ earned his 7th win of the season.
- Rejuvenated pitcher Jo-Jo Reyes lost his first game of the year giving up 6 earned runs in 4 innings of work.Â Jo-Jo did strike out 5 batters.
- Draft day is tomorrow.Â I’ll put up a draft thread and give updates in the comments.Â Hope you can join me.Â
thanks for the update. hopefully prado can be an option for next year if we are unable to sign giles. we need to get chuck up asap. i hope he performs well because his name has all types of potential for bad nicknames (upchuck, chunk james, etc). we really need a swift kick in the hiney from somewhere.
What happens with all the starting pitchers we’ll have next year, assuming Sosa is out of the rotation?
Smoltz (club option next year)
Thomson likely won’t be back in ’07 but that still leaves 6 starters (7 if you count Sosa, which I won’t).
Ramirez or James
So is Ramirez traded? Or James? They’re both better served in the rotation, I think, and there doesn’t appear to be room for both of them. Or, is Davies traded maybe?
Well if you were to keep Sosa in the bullpen and as an injury replacement, then you could trade Ramirez.
I certainly something helps Lerew–he had a bad spell at Myrtle Beach (when he had newfound velocity on his fastball) because he pitched better at Richmond last year. He had high hopes in Spring Training and has gone down hill rapidly.
With respect to pitching, it has been good to see the return of Gonzalo Lopez and Pedro Rayo.
Otherwise, does anyone out there know who the Braves signed as Draft and Follow players? I have read that they inked 6 players and other than Hanson and Flowers, the rest have not gotten much attention. I would not be surprised if Miles, Chapman and Cabrera are among them.