At a certain point, you just have to try something different. The answer canâ€™t be this, because this clearly isnâ€™t the answer.
Will Smith blew another save tonight. The Braves were one strike away from their best win of the season, and he gave up a game-tying home run to Donovan Solano. Thatâ€™s his fourth blown save in a little over a month. He has surrendered six home runs in his last 18 appearances, and just blew his fourth save in that time period as the Braves fell 6-5 in 11 innings.
No, the Braves donâ€™t have Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman, and yes I acknowledge there is no obvious closer. And I am aware Will Smith makes closer money, and that makes him the closer no matter what.
But this cannot possibly be it. You cannot possibly keep using the same closer who has thrown three 1-2-3 innings in his last 23 appearances and expecting different results. Maybe itâ€™s Luke Jackson, maybe itâ€™s Tyler Matzek, maybe itâ€™s just closer-by-committee for a couple weeks. But this isnâ€™t it, and it canâ€™t continue to be it for the final 16 games.
Hopefully someone wakes up before itâ€™s too late.
- They came out and scored two runs in the top of the 1st inning and for a moment, all was right with the world.
- Travis dâ€™Arnaud hit the biggest homer of the season for this team and once again, all was right with the world for that moment.
- The bullpen with the exception of Smith held up really well. Martin, Minter and Newcomb had big innings in relief of Anderson and Matzek extended the game for another inning with a nerves-of-steel groundout against NL MVP candidate Brandon Crawford
- The middle of the lineup showed something approaching the form it did for most of August. Freeman, Austin Riley and Adam Duvall had two hits apiece, including some scorchers. That is going to have to continue over the final 16 games for this team to have a chance to get where it wants to go.
- Will Smith.
- Yâ€™all, Kevin freaking Gausman walked the game off. Kevin. Gausman.
- I am going to type it again because it deserves to be named and shamed again. Kevin Gausman walked the game off.
- We all stayed up until almost 1 AM to watch that emotionally crippling game.
- Ian Anderson struggled again, even if it was against one of the best lineups in baseball.
- The Braves are 2-for-37 at the plate in the 10th inning this season. Iâ€™m just as surprised as you are that they have two hits.
- Itâ€™s beginning to feel a lot like 2011.
- Please donâ€™t make me write more about that game.
Former Brave Of The Day:
Do I seriously even need to say who it is?
Quote Of The Game:
â€œMy life is nothing but a comedy.â€
— The Joker
Donâ€™t let Will Smith pitch. Thatâ€™s pretty much the bar for success right now.