The list of candidates I came up with yesterday was:
- Guy Hansen, former Royals pitching coach, now the pitching coach at Richmond.
- Bruce Dal Canton, former Braves pitching coach, now the pitching coach at Myrtle Beach.
- Mike Maddux, Brewers pitching coach, brother of longtime Brave Greg.
- Don Gullett, former Reds pitching coach.
- Randy St. Claire, former Brave, now Natspos pitching coach.
Two other names have been mentioned:
- Kent Willis, Mississippi pitching coach.
- Mel Stottlemyre, former Yankees pitching coach.
Stottlemyre was a teammate of Bobby’s during the collapse of the Yankee dynasty. I don’t take him seriously as a candidate, but you never know. Some people have mentioned Greg Maddux, but he’s under contract to pitch for roughly fifty times what he’d make as a pitching coach.
My belief is that it will be Dal Canton, who’s been the guy they normally plug in during emergencies and has been in the organization forever. He’s 63 years old and would probably be a short-termer.